Monday, January 3

Teaching is an Addictive Cycle

It's a new year and a fresh start. I didn’t really want to be back but it wasn’t a bad day. A lot of the kids were out today. I guess they’re still recovering. It mad it a lot easier to teach the ones who were here.
Teaching is an addictive cycle. If it were all based on the middle of the third quarter then every teacher would quit. But it isn’t. You have summertime and winter break. Then you think, "Teaching isn’t so bad," and before you know it you’re back in the school year wondering, “Why am I doing this again?”
It was a little weird being back today. I was disoriented. I couldn’t remember which classes I had—-I even forgot a couple of students’ names. It’s like being in a different world. When I’m on break I don’t think about school at all. I think it’s a survival method. The kids don’t think about school when they’re on break either. In fact, they seem to unlearn everything they’re been taught the whole year. It took three and a half months for them to learn it and only a week and a half to forget it. Some of them just run wild all the way through the break. It’s going to be tough for them to get used to discipline and consequences again.