Friday, January 21

Dr. King Would Be Proud; Monday, January 17 – Friday, January 21

It’s been a week. Monday was the Martin Luther King holiday. Tuesday morning the kids were fighting before the opening bell. Dr. King would be proud.
My evening classes started on Wednesday. I don’t get along with my professor at all. I was sitting in class biting my tongue. She kept saying all these negative things about teachers that made me upset. I kept telling myself to take it easy, "This is my last semester. I just need a 'C'." Finally, I burst. I pointed out the flaws in her argument and how she was contradicting herself. I made her look bad in front of the class and that can’t be good. I’m going to have to stop paying attention in there.
Thursday was Inaugural Day. It was supposed to be a half-day/teacher workday but it snowed out.
Today, Malcolm wanted to use the phone. I wouldn’t let him. We’re getting stricter after a bomb scare on Wednesday (that’s a whole other story). Malcolm asked to speak to he alone in the hall. He handed me a business card from the local police department. He told me that they had pulled him out of class and that they were looking for something that was in his house and had been involved in a malicious wounding. He said that he had to call his mother to get it out of the house. I told him "no". After class, I called the detective on the business card. I got the answering machine so I left a message. I still wasn’t satisfied so I went to talk to our school police officer. She verified that the police had removed Malcolm from class to talk to him. I told her what he told me and asked if it made any sense. It turns out that the police are looking for a BB gun. Someone shot a 6-year-old kid.

No comments: