Tuesday, November 9

Just One More Day, Just One More Day

Just one more day, just one more day. I never wanted to be in a position where I was living for weekends and holidays but that’s where I am now. One more day before the holiday. Tomorrow’s the last day of the first quarter.
I forgot to mention it yesterday but Malcolm (who is suspended) stopped by in the middle of class.
“Hey, Mr. Moore,“ he said.
“What are you doing here?” I asked.
“I just got out,” he responded.
“Out of what?” i had to ask.
“I was locked up.”
I guess he’s been in the juvenile detention center for the last few days. I didn’t even realize it. I just knew that he’d been suspended. He still has five days on his suspension but he must have been coming in to pick up his books and because . . . he misses school? Who knows? I’m going to have to spend more time on that kid. He’s too smart for his own good.
Ms. Helm has challenged my reading class to a competition. We’ve already started talking trash in front of the kids. The bet is to see whose class can read the most. We haven’t decided what the prize will be. Her kids want me to cut my hair if they win. I don’t know. I don’t really want to do it but if it will make them read . . . I’ll have to think about it.