Tuesday, April 19

Well, You Was Talking Too

I put a couple of girls out of class today. They were being incredibly rude and refused to stop talking. One of them, Arome, yelled back at me, “Well, you was talking too!” As if she doesn’t understand that it might be OK for a teacher to talk to the class but not OK for students to be talking to each other. She also told me, “I’m getting real tired of you.”
It’s hurtful. I’ve tried so hard to make class fun and interesting. It makes me feel unappreciated. If I’m going to get constant disrespect then why bother teaching? I can understand why 50% of teachers leave teaching in the first five years. I can understand why teachers leave our school. I can understand how this hurts our students. Do our students and their parents understand it?

1 comment:

Mel said...

I've found your blog and I teach Elementary Art in South Carolina. I'm a first year teacher from the midwest and I'm experiencing all of these same things, especially with my 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students in this southern school. I never believed students would act this way. Being a first year teacher in a school like this is awful, I'm hoping to move and teach somewhere else next year.

Thank you for your blog