Wednesday, April 20

Someone is Always Willing to Take a Bad Student's Place

Arome slipped out of the middle of class today. I had kicked her friend, Tasha, out of class. Suddenly, I realized that Arome was gone too. She tried to sneak back into the room but I caught her and wouldn’t let her in. She started screaming into the room. There were only a couple of minutes left in class so I just ignored her. By the time class was over and she came in to collect her things, she was steaming mad. She got up in my face and told me, “I’m going to smack the fuck out of you!”
It was in front of several students, which is even worse. The principal knows about it now. We’ll see what he does. I don’t know what’s wrong with Arome. It’s like she snapped. One day she just woke up and decided she hates me. Ms. Liger said that at about the same time Arome has decided that she loves Ms. Liger.
We thought that if we got rid of one or two students then everything would be great. Now it seems like someone is always willing to take the bad student's place.

3 comments:

Mrs. T said...

I, too taught in a disfunctional middle school- for 5 years. I did finally quit- and I mean quit teaching altogether. I have since recovered and am working in a job that I love at the high school level. What a difference age makes! (theirs, not mine.)
I stumbled across this on the Learn me Good site- I don't quite have it in me to read your whole journal- too much I can relate to, I think. I'm curious to know what you are up to now, since you are no longer a burned out teacher.

Mister Teacher said...

Mrs. T and I are clearly running in the same circles here...
In my first year of teaching, my class was a veritable revolving door. I don't think there was a two-week period when I didn't lose or gain at least one student. And like you say, it always seems like you lose the good kids only to gain a terror. The other teachers didn't really appreciate it when I referred to the classes as "that big whack-a-mole game."

Mr. Moore said...

I can't blame you for not wanting to read my whole blog. More than a year has passed since the events took place but the memories are still painful. Writing this has been therapeutic and has helped me to feel better about my current position.
I'm still teaching but am no longer burned out. I took a small pay cut and moved to a high school up the road. I'm only a few miles from my old school but they are worlds apart. The student populations are similar. The administrations could not be more different. I'm glad I stayed in teaching long enough to find a good situation. Most of my friends did not. I've seen too many good teachers leave the profession.