Tuesday, October 12

D.C.'s Problems

I guess Jose wasn’t expelled because he got suspended today. After he got the suspension, he was wandering around the 7th grade hallway like he belonged there. Mr. Burns, Ms. Liger, and I all converged on him and pointed him out to the principal who took care of him.
We had a seventh grade meeting today. As usual, there was a lot of complaining. I felt like I should say something positive so I thanked the principal for the good job he was doing. It was an awkward moment so I quickly reminded him that I have an evaluation coming up. Everyone laughed at that and we moved on. Still, you have to keep it positive. Things are so much better this year than they were last year.
It was a little tough being back today. I called in sick yesterday for Columbus Day because my wife had the day off. It was a beautiful day. We had a great time together. Today, it was like, “Why do I have to deal with this?”
I saw one of my students as I was getting on the train. I quickly ducked onto another car because I just don’t feel like dealing with anyone at the end of the day. Now I’m suspicious. Our kids that ride the train are usually coming in from somewhere else where they don’t want to go to school. I can understand not wanting to go to D.C. schools with all the problems D.C. has. Unfortunately, students who come from D.C. tend to bring D.C.’s problems with them. You would think a student who isn’t supposed to attend our school would maintain a low profile but a lot of times they don’t. They get in trouble. Then, when the principal tries to contact their parents we discover that they shouldn’t be in our school. We have enough trouble with our own students. We don’t need to be taking care of everyone else’s problems, too.
Speaking of everyone else’s problems, I got a new student today. She just moved in from D.C. She’s a Timmons, one of many in our school. I had her cousin two year ago, one of my most-hyper-of-all-time students. Let’s hope for the best.