Tuesday, September 28

Some kids were good . . . some kids were bad

Coming back to your classroom after a day with a sub can be like coming into a war zone. It wasn’t bad today, though. There was just the slightest sense that things were not where I had left them. On the desk, a note from the sub—“Hi Mr. Moore, some kids were good, some kids were bad.” That pretty much sums up every day.
I always ask the substitutes to leave names of students who were acting up. That way they can be dealt with and it makes things that much easier for the next sub. It goes back to the days when I was substituting. I could walk into a class and tell which teachers had their kids on notice and which didn’t.
Expectations for substitutes are low. Some of them tell me they don’t sub for science because they can’t teach science. Of course, none of the subs can teach science. If they could teach science then they wouldn’t be subbing. All I’m expecting is for someone to pass out worksheets, maybe put a video in, be there in case something happens. If you speak English then that’s a nice bonus.

No comments: