Thursday, June 16

Two More Lives Lost

Ms. Power asks me, “Does Briana’s belly look like it’s getting bigger?”
I look at Briana, wearing a revealing shirt and strutting her stuff in front of some boys. Her belly is bigger. I think back to a month ago when Briana told me her father kicked her out of the house. There was some sort of fight about her boyfriend. I remember Briana missing some school and telling me that she had been throwing up.
“What do we do?” asks Ms. Power, “She was skinny as a twig when I started working here. Now she refuses to dress out for P.E.”
Someone has to talk to Briana. Someone has to ask her if she’s pregnant. I talk to Briana a lot but Ms. Power is the health teacher and she’s a woman. We agree that Ms. Power should ask. I don’t really want to know the answer. I remember Briana telling me that her mother never finished high school. Her mother dropped out when she got pregnant with Briana.
I think about my own life. I’m over twice the age of these kids and I don’t think I’m ready to be a father. Imagine starting life with a thirteen-year-old mother. Imagine being a thirteen-year-old mother. Two more lives lost.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, it is really nice resource. I think, i'll see this site again.
- burnedoutteacher.blogspot.com i
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was in the same position as yourself a couple of years ago and had to convince the PE teacher that it would be much better for her to approach the poor pregnant teen than myself.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Moore, I Googled "burned out teacher" this evening because, well, that's me in a nutshell. I'm in the second semester of my fourth year teaching at an urban high school in Kansas. I "teach" a freshmen-level math class for students who struggled to pass 8th grade math. WELL more than half of my energy in the classroom in spent dealing with atrocious disrespect. I'm dismayed that the educational bureaucracy continues to spin the same wheel with such dismal results. Nix that - I'm disgusted.

Teaching is my second career, but I'm contemplating a third career already. I'd love to know what the change in schools did for you.