Saturday, June 25

Burned Out Teacher

It’s all over. Normally, there is a big sigh of relief at the end of the year. I felt it as a student. As a teacher, I sometimes felt it even more. This year, I didn’t feel it. Maybe it’s because I’ve decided not to come back next year.
I sat at our last faculty meeting and looked around the room. I realized suddenly, that I knew less than half the people in the room. They were giving out awards to people who had been working for twenty, fifteen, ten, or five years. Can you imagine doing this for twenty years? Then I realized that very few of them were in the classroom. That’s how you survive long-term. You get away from working with the kids.
The head counselor is retiring. She was awful. She won’t be missed. Our seventh grade counselor is taking her place. It’s a poor choice. She’s awful, too. She doesn’t do any work and she doesn’t care about the kids. Oh well, it’s not my fight anymore. I’m tired of fighting every day. I’m tired of fighting for things that should be taken for granted. I’m a lover, not a fighter.
Ultimately, I don’t like the person that I am becoming from working at this school. I don’t like to be angry, suspicious, paranoid, and untrusting. Our time-out room monitor told me that I wasn’t really cut out for teaching because the students got on my nerves. How can you care about the students and not be angry? What right does she—a teacher who was forced out of the classroom because she was ineffective—a teacher who draws full salary but does almost nothing to help—what right does she have to tell me I’m not a teacher? She doesn’t have any idea what goes on in my classroom. She doesn’t have any idea what my students are learning. No one does. We’re all too concerned with discipline and behavior to think about teaching and learning.
It’s over. I know that I should feel something but I don’t. I’m burned out. I gave it the best that I could for three years. I just can’t give any more.

16 comments:

Freddie L Sirmans, Sr. said...

Just browsing, very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting blog.

Anonymous said...

When can we expect your next blog entry? Have you heard anything about how any of your students are doing now that they are in high school?

Anonymous said...

Whoa. I'm a burned out teacher who is currently having a "sick day" and I'm dragging my mind through every possible way to get to winter break. I'm in my fifth year of teaching, have already experienced a nervous breakdown and am on my way to another one. I love the kids and I love to have fun with them, but the system is such a mess that teaching kids is only a small fraction of what I do. I hate the thought of giving up b/c I'm an idealist who can't seem to let go of the idea that this job really can be what I want it to be. Who am I kidding, though?

Anonymous said...

I came across this blog because I googled "burned out teacher". My husband and I teach elementary school. I feel like we wrote this entry. You have described the way we feel!
We are both burned out! We are on depression medication and I just took a "sick day" because I couldn't handle one more day with the kids! Thanks for writing this! It helps to know others have struggled with the same problems we are having.

Anonymous said...

I sympathize with each and every one who has written anything here in regards to being burned out.I am a teacher of twenty five years and am now for the first time working in a private classroom for a family with ten boys all ranging between 2 and four years of age. They have a school on their home compound and I am the fortunate one,( to say) that is teaching all of these boys. I have been a High School Teacher, Middle School Teacher and Elementary School Teacher, and have seen and been through it all, so I thought. This is a very dysfunctional family and the boys are horrible. I have been here for two years now, and I am about to lose it if I don't get out. I am stressed out terribly, I am having problems in my marriage due to this. The stress and anger and frustration is getting the best of me. I hate getting up in the morning just knowing that I have to drive for 40 minutes to this place just to become even more stressed and frustrated as the day before. So am I burned out? You better believe it!! What's worse, no one understands me or cares.

Thanks for letting me share.

Anonymous said...

you are very honest

Anonymous said...

This is only my second year teaching and it feels like it should be my last. I googled, "burned out teacher," and found this (thank God!). I actually believe it's the county and the demographics that makes my teaching experience horrible. This blog was such a relief! I feel like I can go another day.............

Live Poker said...

In my opinion it already was discussed

Dandelion Tamer said...

Same overwhelming exhaustion by 3 o'clock with another 40 minutes to go. No support, no training, no time to go to the bathroom or drink some water. Dread getting out of bed, driving on campus, pulling lessons together at the last minute because there is no time and you don't really get to know Ss. reading level, writing skills, reading...until you are in it. Sorry - feel asleep writing this. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa there I go again. Got to sleep. thanks for letting me find I'm not alone.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm a good teacher, but I just don't think I can play the game anymore. NO TIME...no time to use the restroom, eat lunch,make a phone call, listen to a kid tell you about his night. I havent "planned" lessons in two years. All I do is 'test' to create 'data' that will be shaped to represent something that is not real. If they would just trust me and let me be the teacher I've become--professional, educated, and capable. I'm exhausted...

JustMe said...

Thank God I'm not alone! This had me almost in tears bc I feel the SAME EXACT WAY! Lord knows I don't want to quit because I know good and well that these children NEED me more than anything. I am in my fifth year, and this is the first time in my life that I've dealt with stress. I'm gaining weight, I'm always exhausted, my memory is completely shot, etc. This whole system is screwed up. I'm sure I won't be here for long either.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! i'm tired of going home angry. of doing so much for my classroom and my school and then having everything yanked out from underneath me and being shit on by administration that when it comes right down to it...WORK FOR ME!. There was an article about "teacher burnout vs. teacher degridation" check it out.

Anonymous said...

I'm at the point that I HATE teaching. I love the kids but the systems are geared against me. I just want to get out. I have 8 more weeks to go until the end of the semester. There are times that I think I'm just not going to make it. My Principal thinks I'm totally ineffective because I just can't do it anymore. I'm forgetful, apathetic, resentful and angry. I have never ever been like this before.... but now, after 17 years, I'm sick of the paperwork, the meetings, the bullshit. I am SO done!!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how much longer I can do this - I feel the same way!!!!! I never get to lesson plan or go the bathroom

Unknown said...

HEY TEACHERS! ~Live the Life You’ve Imagined~ Are you feeling burnt out and run down already? Do you feel like there’s always too much to do and not enough time? Do you need to recharge your batteries? I am a Lovin’ Life Coach, and I would LOVE to help you find your passion again. It could really change your life. Contact me for more information at (201) 647-0196 or LOVINLIFECOACHINGHL@gmail.com.