Thursday, December 9

Today Violence Won

Today violence won. This has been a relatively peaceful year. Last year, we had a stretch of third quarter when it seemed like there were fights every day. Today, I felt like I was back in that stretch of last year.
In my first class, I caught Brenda with gang writing on her textbook. I handed it over to the principal. There was a fight at lunchtime and all the students came back to class crazy. It’s impossible to get them to focus after a fight.
The halls were clearing after the next class when I noticed a crowd at the opposite end of the hallway. I ran down. Mr. Burns was yelling at students to go back to class. Nobody was. I forced my way through the crowd and past a teacher who was trying to hold everyone back. Two girls were being held apart. One of them was Brenda. I walked her down to the office.
Once again, the kids were crazy during class. Fifteen minutes before the end of the day, LJ wandered into my classroom from wherever he was supposed to be. He was wearing a hat. I didn't notice but the hat had a gang insignia on it.
“What do your hat say?” asked Malcolm.
“[Name of Gang],” responded LJ.
“Take it off, fool,” said Malcolm.
“Give me the hat,” I said.
LJ took off running down the hallway. I followed him outside, demanding the hat. I finally lured him back by asking for his pass (which was totally invalid) and snatched the hat from him. He came back and demanded it after school. When I wouldn’t give it to him, he called me a “bucket head”.
I went to take the hat to the principal and found out about another fight. Jenny and Cardoza started fighting after school. Jenny was in the office crying. Cardoza had the usual mean look on her face. It will be nice to be rid of her. I guess Malcolm is out, too. Apparently, he was sexually harassing Latisha (another rival gang member) in class. I hope we can just survive until winter break.