Wednesday, December 15

The Fog of War; Monday, December 11 – Friday, December 15

The week passed in a blur—-the fog of war. Monday, I had my last final. We all arrived in class expecting to turn papers in and go home. There was a schedule on the board. It outlined every single minutes of class and it was full. I don’t remember much else. Sleep deprivation, I guess.
My class was observed on Wednesday. By that point, I really couldn’t care less. We had the honor roll party in my room right before class. Most of the students happened to have me next. They were WIRED. High on sugar and strung out on caffeine, they were shouting to people right next to them, totally unaware that there was another adult in the room. I can’t wait to find out what she put on my evaluation. I’ll get it back on Monday when I have to meet with her again.
The anticipation of winter break has the kids acting crazy. Koko was suspended. LJ decided that he doesn’t have to do anything teachers tell him to do and got suspended. DaSean got sent out of four of his five classes in a single day and was suspended for the rest of the week. Malcolm spent today in In-School Suspension. It’s excitement over the holidays combined with anxiety. Many of our kids do not do well at home. As a student, I couldn’t wait for the next holiday but many of our students rely on our school for someone to care about them (get on their case), something to do (go to school and get in trouble), and somewhere to eat (complain about the food). Holiday time makes the kids anxious.
William got jumped after school yesterday. He was out with his boys this morning looking for revenge. I saw them headed away from the school and let the administration know.

No comments: